Curious about the inner world of chickens? Let your little ones explore the amazing life of a chicken, learning about their natural life cycle and behaviours.
Year Level: 1–2
Learning area: Science
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking; literacy
Tip: These worksheets include colour images to enhance the learning experience. To print without colour, you can select the grayscale or black and white option in your printer settings.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
This homeschool worksheet bundle explores the unique features, life cycle and natural behaviours of chickens. Children will enjoy full-colour photographs of the different life stages of a chicken, and complete a variety of activities that compare natural life to life on an egg farm.
Your child will:
- sort images of birds into groups based on external features
- represent the natural life cycle of a chicken and identify various life stages
- recognise some natural behaviours of chickens and understand why they are important for proper welfare and biological functioning
- understand how life stages differ for hens raised on egg farms in Australia.
- ACSSU017: Living things have a variety of external features
- ACSSU030: Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (representing personal growth and changes from birth and exploring different characteristics of life stages in animals)
Vocabulary: life cycle, embryo, pullet, cockerel, egg tooth, domesticate, dust bathe, perch, incubator, battery hen
Discussion: Did any of the statements about egg farms surprise you? Why/why not?
‘Natural Behaviours of Chickens’: true, false, true, false, true, true, false
‘Life Cycle of Chickens on a Farm’: all statements are true
Extension Activities (Optional)
‘Amazing Animal Mums’ homeschool lesson
Human mothers aren’t the only ones who form close bonds with their babies. Learn how cows, pigs, chickens and sheep love and nurture their offspring.