Famous Animal Quotations
- Explain to students that there are four approaches to animal ethics. Students can take the quiz ‘How do you think about other animals’ here.
- Using a whiteboard of overhead projector, display a brief summary of the four approaches to read together as a class.
- Divide students into groups of six or seven and give each group one animal rights quotation.
- Ask each group to think about the meaning of each quotation and which ‘approach’ it would sit under.
- Give students time to discuss their quotations. Once completed, ask each group to share out loud and explain whether or not they agree with it and why.
- Ask students to share which quotations they most agree or disagree with and why.
Curriculum links (Years 9-10): ACELT1812, ACHCS085, ACHCS086, ACHCS099, ACHCS098
General capabilities: Literacy, critical and creative thinking, ethical behaviour